Innocent Spouse Relief

If your spouse or former spouse improperly reported items or omitted items on your tax return, you can be relieved of responsibility for paying tax, interest, and penalties by requesting innocent spouse relief.  In order to qualify for innocent spouse relief, you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • You must have filed a joint return which had an understatement of tax due unreported income or incorrect deductions of your spouse or former spouse;
  • You must establish that as of the time you signed the joint return you had no reason to know and did not know that there was an understatement of tax;
  • It would be unfair to hold you liable for the understatement of tax based on all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case; and
  • You and your spouse did not transfer property to one another as part of a fraudulent scheme.

If you believe you may qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief, contact us now at 601-321-1991 to speak with an experienced Mississippi tax attorney.